Tuesday, April 23, 2013

{Skin Care Routine Part I: Morning Routine}

Searching for the perfect skincare routine is like searching for a unicorn - it probably doesn't exist. After a lot of trial and error, I've found a routine that seems to be the most effective, for now. I say for now because in the past, I've found routines that have worked...then, stopped working. This is always so frustrating since I'm not the type of person that likes to experiment with skin care. I guess it's because when I get breakouts, it takes my skin a while to recover.

{ Love this sun-kissed skin and natural make-up look!}


Let's start off with my skin type: ultra sensitive, very oily, acne prone skin. Fun, right? I've done a lot of research and have found that the main thing I should focus on is rebalancing my skin. I've realized that there's a lot of truth to this. When my skin is acting up, it's my body telling me that something is not right. So, I really tune into my lifestyle and how it's impacting my skin. If it's random breakouts, it's probably a bit of stress and lack of sleep. When it was cystic acne, I figured it might have been hormonal. When my skin is a total wreck, super oily and dull at the same time, I probably haven't worked out and had not been drinking a lot of water.

{More glowy skin inspiration!}


So, in addition to a good balance of products, I also found that committing to more exercise and making some lifestyle changes is proving to be a big help with my overall complexion. When I exercise, I sleep better. When I sleep better, my skin looks better. See a pattern? Bottom line: exercise and positive lifestyle changes are good! See my Health and Fitness post for ideas!


Morning Routine:
1. I start off with cleansing my face with Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Acne Treatment Cleanser in the shower. This is best for me in the morning because I don't have makeup on and I don't think this is necessarily that great for taking makeup off. Second, the steam in the shower help to open up my pores and really let the salicylic acid penetrate in my skin. This cleanser is effective but gentle to my sensitive skin.

2. Instead of moisturizer, I use Boscia Clear Complexion Treatment. It's more like a fast-absorbing gel that really keeps oil production at bay and gives me a matte finish which I love because like I said earlier, my skin is very oily. I haven't been using this long, but so far I like it.

3. While the Boscia gel is drying, I use La Roche Posay Hydraphase Eye Gel to moisturize my under eye and lid area. I'm terrible when it comes to eye cream. I just don't really invest the money and time to find a good one. But, this is changing because I know I should because with wrinkles, prevention is key.

4. This next step is my favorite. I use Tarte BB Cream. I've only been using this for a couple of weeks but, so far, I love it! Other BB creams I've tried in the past have been too oily for my skin. This one is really good. It gives build-able coverage and can really be worn by itself and a little powder. The most important for me is that it has sunscreen since my Boscia gel does not. It also works as a primer, which typically means that it fills in fine lines so that other makeup will go on smoother. It claims to be a light moisturizer which I'm not sure about. It definitely is not drying, but I'm not sure I can use this without first applying my Boscia gel. It also claims to have an anti-aging treatment. I'm not sure how I'd test this but this isn't the most important ingredient for me for the reasons I've listed above.

5. The last step is technically makeup and not skincare. But, I wanted to add it in since it's another item I actually use on my face to prep for other makeup. I've been using Clinique Stay Matte Foundation for over year now and I've loved it. Great coverage and friendly for sensitive oily skin types.

Please keep in mind that this is what works for me. Like I said earlier, I did a lot of research and took advice and tips from many different sources before finding just the right mix of products. I hope some of this helps and stay tuned for my night time routine in Part II of this post!

xx, Shiela

| Note: Item(s) mentioned above were purchased with my own money. I was not paid to review |




No comments:

Post a Comment